“Mainstream” or well-known colleges like CU Boulder, UCLA, and UT offer standard online degrees and programs. That is fine for prospective non-traditional learners, but for students who like to go off the beaten path and find an online degree that is unique to their needs and wants, these “mainstream” colleges and universities are not the right fit for them.
Online Campus Colleges has crafted a list of the top 5 most underrated online colleges or universities in United States based on the following criteria:
- Accreditation of online programs
- Special benefits and perks (i.e. military discounts)
- Unique features
- Relatively unknown features that should be known
Breakdown of the Top 5 Most Underrated Colleges:
5. Grantham University, 16025 W 113th St, Lenexa, KS 66219
- Price per online credit: Varies from $265 to $325, depending on the program. Military/veteran rate $250 per credit hour.
- Students: 14,000, includes online students
- Most underrated feature: 90% of the student body is active/retired military/veterans and their spouses.
Grantham University’s online program offers Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Business, Arts and Sciences, Engineering, Computer Science, Allied Health and Nursing. Rolling-course starts, and affordable, 8-week classes make Grantham University flexible and convenient. Transfer/military credit accepted.
4. Colorado Technical University, 4435 N Chestnut St, Colorado Springs, CO 80907
- Price per online credit: $210 to $325 per credit hour (Undergraduate); $370 to $598 per credit hour
- (Graduate/Doctorate); offers military discounts
- Students: 21,200, includes online students
- Most underrated feature: The Fast Track Test Program
Fast Track your online education at Colorado Technical University by testing out of courses. Tests are offered for Associate and Bachelor degrees. Depending on your program, you can earn over 60 credits to advance your degree. Current CTU students can take Fast Track exams at no extra charge. CTU offers Associate, Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctorate online courses/degrees.
Find a Program for You
3. The Chicago School of Professional Psychology 325 N Wells St, Chicago, IL 60654
- Price per online credit: $445 (undergraduate); $1,149 (graduate)
- Students: 4,300, includes online students
- Most underrated feature: Military Scholarships
The Chicago School, as it is more commonly called, is mostly a graduate school for those who already retain a degree in psychology or related field. The school has partnered with the National Military Family Foundation to offer $7,500 to $16,500 in scholarships to military families.
2. American InterContinental University, 231 N Martingale Road, Schaumburg, IL 60173
- Price per online credit: $325 (Undergraduate); $611 (Graduate)
- Students: 15,500, includes online students
- Most underrated feature: The 12-month online MBA program
AIU offers online Associate, Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees. The 12-month Master of Business Arts (MBA) utilizes a nifty online tool called “intellipath” to assess transfer courses and on-the-job experience so that you can blaze through your MBA in less than a year.
1. ECPI University, 5555 Greenwich Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23462
- Price per semester: $1,239 to $8,964 depending on the program and amount of credits taken per semester; military rate is per credit hour and calculated dependent on the program
- Students: 12,000+, includes online students
- Most underrated feature: Their Online Tech Programs
Although ECPI offers online degree programs in the health sciences, nursing, business and criminal justice, its technology programs are what ranked this school number 1 with us. From niche degrees in cybersecurity, cloud computing, mobile development, and mechatronics, ECPI does not skimp on educating students in today’s ever-changing, fast-paced world of technology.
So, What Works for YOU?
As online college become more popular, it is important to consider all options. Just because a college is not “mainstream” does not mean it lacks accreditation. Depending on the institution, it may be more affordable and niche specific to the interests of your college degree and program. That said, weigh all your options! Compare our universities to others to find a program and institution that works best for you.
Creating Personal Connections in a Virtual Classroom - A Guide for Students ALICIA LAPERUTA | August 30, 2019 Online...read more
5 Challenges Adults Face When Continuing Education ALICIA LAPERUTA | July 8, 2019 College campuses of today don’t have...read more
How Do Online Colleges Work? ALICIA LAPERUTA | SEPTEMBER 28, 2018 Today, students don’t have to be stuck in a...read more
How to Stay Motivated in College ALICIA LAPERUTA | SEPTEMBER 18, 2018 Once the semester is in full swing, it can be...read more
Benefits of Trade School ALICIA LAPERUTA | JULY 3, 2018 Vocational school is a popular option for students who decide...read more